FAMILY FIRE IS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO AMERICA’S GUN VIOLENCE EPIDEMIC
• 4.6 million children live in homes with access to an unlocked or unsupervised gun.
• A 2021 study of child access to firearms found that 33% of gun-owning parents who thought their child could not access a household firearm had a child who reported they
• One study showed that 1 in 5 parents who said their child never handled guns without supervision were contradicted by their child’s reports.
• Access to guns in the home increases the risk of suicide by 300%.
• 51% of all suicide fatalities are by firearm and 60% of all gun deaths are suicides.
• 75% of school shootings are facilitated by kids having access to unsecured and/or unsupervised guns at home.
• A relatively modest increase in safe storage — locking all household firearms — could reduce firearm suicide and unintentional firearm fatalities among youth by up to
YOU CAN END FAMILY FIRE — HERE’S HOW
• You have the power to End Family Fire by following our motto: Act, Ask, Talk, and Learn. These four easy steps can prevent avoidable tragedies.
• ACT Safe gun storage must be a top priority for all gun owners, and that means we must ACT responsibly when firearms are in the home by storing guns securely. Although
teaching children about gun safety has value, parents should not rely on safety training alone to ensure their kids do not handle guns unsupervised.
• ASK Make sure you ASK the right questions when going to others’ houses or checking in on family and friends. ASK: “Is there an unlocked or loaded gun in the home?”
• TALK Have ongoing conversations with family and friends about safe storage, and TALK about what responsible gun ownership and gun safety looks like.
• LEARN It’s important to LEARN about safe gun storage options in your community from local police departments and firearms retailers and to familiarize yourself with
state and local gun laws to ensure you are in compliance.
END FAMILY FIRE
• Family fire is a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun in the home that results in death or injury.
• Every day, 8 children and teens are unintentionally injured or killed due to an unlocked or unsupervised gun in the home.
63 people a day die by gun suicide. When someone attempts suicide with a gun, they rarely get a second chance to live a full life.
• Unintentional shootings, suicide, and intentional shootings are all forms of family fire.
• Family fire is preventable. Gun owners are an essential part of preventing gun violence, and safe gun storage is a great place to start. Safe storage is keeping your
guns locked, unloaded, separate from ammunition, and inaccessible to children.